Today, The LEGO Group released their annual report for 2012 and it was another successful year for the toy company. With the launch of the 2013 Toy of the Year Friends theme combined with the continued successful themes such as City, Star Wars, and Ninjago, LEGO increased their revenue by a staggering 25% to GBP 2,549 million. This amount almost triples the sales from 5 years ago in 2007 and is the fifth year in a row that the LEGO Group had a revenue growth over 15%.
Key facts from the LEGO Group’s annual report for 2012, which was published today:
• The year’s operating profit increased to GBP 866 million against GBP 660 million in 2011, an increase of 40%.
• The operating margin increased to 34% from 30% in 2011.
• The year’s net profit increased to GBP 611 million against GBP 484 million in 2011.
• The revenue increased by 25% to GBP 2,549 million against GBP 2,181 million in 2011. In local currency (i.e. excluding the impact of foreign exchange changes) revenue increased 20% year over year.
• The net cash generated from operating activities was GBP 680 million against GBP 430 million in 2011.
• In 2012 the Group paid GBP 208 million in corporate income taxes.
The LEGO Group reporting currency is DKK. Conversion from DKK to GBP is based on an annual average currency rate (however conversion of net cash generated from operating activities is based on year-end currency rate) in 2012 and 2011 respectively.
Looking forward to 2013, LEGO has placed high expectations on the new Legends of Chima theme to continue their success from last year. In the report, LEGO states that “More than 60% of the LEGO Group’s sales are new launches every year.” With a couple of new themes this year including Chima, The Lone Ranger, and the return of the Castle theme, LEGO hopes to boost their sales in 2013.
Read the press release here.
When you make a purchase or, sometimes, carry out some other action as direct result of clicking on a link at The Brick Fan, we will receive a small commission.
The Brick Fan is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.